It’s no secret that losing weight takes effort and preparation…
Here are a few simple shortcuts and ingredients, that are great to have in your kitchen!
1. Trader Joe’s Frozen Cauliflower Rice – Simply warm a sauté pan, add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil, throw in the cauliflower rice, season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, drizzle of sesame oil, scramble 2 eggs or egg whites, and you have 5 minute cauliflower fried rice that makes a fantastic quick meal. *Optional add-ins: Secret Weapon number 2 or 3, also grated ginger and sliced scallions are tasty in here too.
2. Organic Shredded Carrots & Pre-Washed Organic Salad Greens – I love having pre-cut veggies on hand. Carrots would be great in the above cauliflower rice recipe or added to any green salad to add a burst of color, subtle sweetness and crunch. Throw a handful of these shreds into a large mixing bowl with any Organic Salad Greens or Spinach, add a few pumpkin seeds, and a simple vinaigrette and you have a great 5-minute salad.
3. Organic Frozen Broccoli and or Cauliflower – This soup will undoubtedly aid in weight-loss. Warm a stock pot, or instant pot, add a drizzle of olive oil or coconut oil, 1 chopped onion (or buy onion already chopped) 1 clove of chopped garlic (or granulated garlic), let that sauté for 5 minutes, add 1 large bag of frozen broccoli, 1 large box (32 ounces) of organic veggie or chicken stock, salt, and pepper. (For more flavor add a large handful of fresh basil leaves.) Let it cook for about 15 minutes on low. Blend with an immersion blender if you like it smooth, or leave it chunky. Finish with a little fresh lemon zest, a tiny drizzle of EVOO, and freshly cracked black pepper.
Health Highlights for Broccoli and Cauliflower:
• Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable that contains sulforaphane, a sulfur compound studied to induce apoptosis
• Also contains indoles and isothiocyanates which are two more cancer-fighting elements found in cauliflower
• Rich in vitamin C and vitamin K
• High in fiber, which is excellent for weight loss, pulling cholesterol out of the body, and may reduce the risk of breast cancer
4. Trader Joe’s Steamed Lentils – You will find these in the produce section at Trader Joe’s. They are great to have on hand; they are pre-cooked and ready to eat. They will pair beautifully with the above broccoli soup, simply warm them up in the soup. I use them chilled, straight from the fridge, and add them to a salad as well for extra plant-based protein.
5. Organic, Pasture Raised Eggs – Eggs are a great source of protein and a fast, easy way to put together a last minute meal. It’s a great idea to make a few hard boiled eggs and have them ready for the week. That way, you know you can grab greens from the fridge, shredded carrots, a hardboiled egg, and a few tablespoons of lentils and you will be ready to go! Grab this free recipe download that includes tips for healthy habits along with a few recipes including my favorite Skinny Vinaigrette. Free Recipe Download