4 Globe artichokes
1/2 Cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
3 Cloves of garlic, minced
Juice from one lemon, and the zest
Generous pinch of salt & cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375º Rinse your artichokes.
- Pull off any lower leaves at the stem of the artichoke. You can leave the stem on, but peel off the outer skin with a vegetable peeler and cut off some of the stem end.
- Now move to the other side of the artichoke, the globe. With a sharp chefs knife, cut off the top portion (about 1 1/2″) of the artichoke by slicing straight through it, discard these leaves. Now, trim each leaf with a scissor, making your way all the way around the artichoke. Now you have just prepped and cleaned your artichoke. Rub all surfaces of the artichoke that you cut with lemon, so they don’t turn brown.
- In a large pot, set a steamer basket inside with about 4″ of water. Once it comes to a boil, place your artichokes in it top side down, so that your stems will be sticking straight up. You will need to steam them about 30 minutes until the leaves of your artichoke pull out easily. Watch your pot though, you will need to keep replenishing your water as they steam.
- Tip*: Set your timer for 10 minute intervals and refill your water every 10 minutes, or as needed.
- While they are steaming you can start on your marinade. To a large glass bowl add 3/4 olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and zest, salt & pepper. Mix this up.
- Once they are steamed and tender, remove with tongs to a bowl and let them cool until you can handle them, about 15 minutes.
- Once they are cooled, place them one at time on a cutting board top side down, and slice them directly in half, going through the stem end. Now, you can remove the furry choke. I like to do this with a grapefruit spoon. They lay directly on top of the golden jewel, the heart of the artichoke. The choke is at the very center and are fuzzy fibers. You will be removing some of the innermost leaves as well as they are a bit prickly. Throw all of this away.
- As you clean your artichokes, place them in the marinade, flipping over so they are well covered. Transfer them to a parchment lined baking sheet. Make sure you pour any remaining marinade onto your baking sheet. I like to assess how they look at this point. Do they look like they need more olive oil? If so, drizzle them with a little extra. Add another pinch of sea-salt and a little more fresh cracked pepper. Pop them in the oven with the convection turned on for about 20 -25 minutes, until you get just a little bit of color on them. Serve warm, or room temp with a piece of lemon.
This recipe can also be lightened up a little bit, simply by adding less olive oil, enjoy!
Keywords: Artichokes, Healthy, weight loss, recipes, vegetables, vegan